These pictures were taken in the Summer of 2008 while on a family vacation in California. Having visited several tall ships in the last few years I am still surprised at the small size of all of them. Surprise is no exception. Standing on the deck you feel as if a dozen people would be unable to get any work done. Below decks they have reproduced a gun position (below) along with some other displays. Oddly enough the deck has been raised under the gun to create the low headroom that is usually associated with fighting ships.
There are also plans available online of what Surprise might have looked like based on real ships plans of the period (5).
- Surprise was in and out of naval service (as was Jack Aubrey) and so bore different titles: HMS= His Majesty's Ship; HMHV=His Majesty's Hired Vessel.
- The series of books featuring Jack Aubrey, RN and Dr. Steven Maturin are sometimes collectively referred to as the Aubreiad.
- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World from IMDB.
- The Tall Ship Rose was built in 1985 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia and until 2001 was used for sail training on the Atlantic coast of North America.
- Ships of Jack Aubrey by Bruce Trinque.